03 October 2006

BBC = Lazy journalism

I have a real bee in my bonnet at the moment about the dumbing down of journalistic standards at the BBC.

I know from professional experience that journalists are lazy. But in my view the BBC should be a beacon for journalistic professionalism and originality. Why the f*ck, therefore, did a hack at BBC online feel the need to ask former England footballer Terry Butcher to comment on whether Monty Panesar is likely to get stick from the Australian crowds this winter?

As far as I can tell the only reason is because he is: a) English; b) Sort of famous; and c) In Australia.

By the same logic Joanne Lees is quite famous (google her if you don't know who she is) and she has spent a lot of time in Oz recently, so they could just have easily asked her.

For the record, cricket expert Butcher has this to say on the matter of Monty abuse: "I certainly don't think there will be any level of animosity."

The guy who runs a sort of Australian equilavent to our site has a different take on the whole thing here

(I'd quite like to get this guy to post on this site so we can get the view from Oz, but I can't seem to contact him. If anyone else can, can you point him in our direction???)

4 Comments:

At 9:01 pm, Blogger Oberon said...

.......the art of peace is medicine for a sick world.....morihei ueshiba.

 
At 10:00 pm, Blogger cov said...

"Ragu, Ragu brings the Italian out in you". Nicola Machiavelli

 
At 10:02 pm, Blogger cov said...

Oberon are you John Buchanan?

 
At 11:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, this is John from that Aussie cricket-blog website. To answer your question on whether Monty will get stick this summer, most definitely yes. Any England player that happens to be standing near the boundary will be getting an earful but I have a feeling Monty will get an extra serving. But I'm hoping it'll be an affectionate ribbing. I've never seen him play yet but I get the impression he's got an enthusiasm and chutzpah that will make him popular over here. That won't stop us from sledging the hell out of him though :-)

Anyway, I'll be in the crowd on Day 1 of the 1st Test in Brisbane. I'm very much hoping Australia bat first - mostly cause I want to see Harmison and Flintoff up against our top order - but also to see how our crowd fare against the outfielders. I'll keep you posted on cricket-blog.com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home