11 December 2006

Explaining an ongoing theme


I have found it hard to rationalise my intense dislike of Australian cricketers. Could it be that our shared colonial past makes me jealous of their relative success; a jealousy felt by the siblings of the prodigal son? Or could it be that I suffer from underdog syndrome? Or is just plain prejudice.

But at last I have the answer. And provided by an Australian, no less. The real reason is that Australia's best players across the last 100 years have been anti-social, obnoxious and supercillious. This is the best way to describe Ricky Ponting:
"Ricky Ponting is not an immediately impressive guy. He's got one of those faces that tends to pop out of your old school photographs and make you wonder: "What was that little twirp's name again?" I have never heard an interesting word come from his mouth, and I strongly suspect that if you took away his cricket stardom and dropped him in the middle of a nightclub, he'd find it tough to get anyone to speak to him, let alone leave on his arm. "

I mean, he gave the finger to a 66 year old man. Disgusting.

Read the full diatribe HERE.


(This post is by way of a sideshow while we prepare for the defence of the Ashes to re-begin later in the week. Normal service will be resumed in the next 24 hours)

2 Comments:

At 5:56 am, Blogger EvilMinion said...

I'm Australian and love cricket, but the boys certainly do make it hard for me to like them.

On the other hand, I'm quite smitten with Matthew Hoggard and Alistair Cook. For different reasons, obviously.

 
At 1:54 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just read that piece at the SMH. I'm surprised a professional journalist would come up with such one-eyed vitriol. You'd expect it from independent blogs - not a respected publication like the SMH. His article comes from a preconceived hatred of cricket which informs all his conclusions. I'd be the first to say the Australian cricketers have behaved badly in the past - the Pawar thing made me embarrassed to be an Australian. But his article takes it too far.

Must say though, the reader comments are quite entertaining (that racist guy comparing all the footy codes to cricket is totally off his nut).

JC (cricket-blog.com)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home