21 November 2006

Jimmy's Diary - Highs and Lows

It's all been a bit of a whirl since I last posted and I've definitely experienced mixed emotions in that time. Obviously I was thrilled to get the nod for the Test team, but that has been tempered by the news that Ian Bell may miss the match after I hit him in the nets. I was truly gutted because Belly is a good mate and it wasn't helped by Chris Read asking why I couldn't have injured Geraint Jones instead. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but knowing Belly I'm sure he will be okay.

Obviously since my last blog the big news had been Marcus Trescothick's departure - which was a real shock to the system. Touring is definitely a stressful business. The first indication we had that something might be wrong was when he kept on calling everyone Keith. After that Colly apparently found him sat in his room holding a hair dryer to his head and humming the theme tune to Howard's Way. [Editor's note. Joking aside, get well soon Marcus we need you]. Even then we thought that he'd be okay and it's a definite blow to lose a player as influential and good as he is.

We had a team meeting about how to handle the abuse we are likely to get from the Aussie crowd. Obviously the focus has been on Monty, who everyone thinks is likely to cop a lot of stick. He's seems to be handling the pressure well, but Cookie reckons he's developed a nervous tic and has been heard screaming in his room in the middle of the night. I'm sure he'll be okay.

Duncan [Fletcher], let the lads out over the weekend for a well-earned break before the real work begins. A few of us ended up in a bar where we attracted a fair bit of attention, especially from women wanting to know if we could introduce them to Simon Jones. There was a bit of stick from the Aussie lads, but it was all good natured and all the boys joined in the singing when they played Down Under by Men at Work. One of the girls told us that under their licensing terms all Australian bars have to play that song at some point during the night. I thought this was very patriotic and its a shame that we don't do something similar with our national anthem at home.

Anyway, I'll post later in the week.

Jimmy, Brisbane, Australia. As imagined by the I don't like Cricket Collective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home