14 November 2006

What will Geoffrey make of it all?

I'm not quite sure what Geoffrey Boycott will say about the whole Trescothick situation, but I'm sure it will be something along the lines of,'Depression? There were none of that nonsense in my day.'

Anyway a friend recently told me a very good Boycott-related anecdote, which I thought i should share.

My friend was inter-railing and arrived at a youth hostel in darkest post-communist downfall Poland where no one spoke English, German or French.

Understandably basic forms of prehistoric communication became crucial in order to confirm a booking for the night. Upon filling in the personal details form the owner, having glanced at the address details of my friend, suddenly threw her arms in the air and in a strong Eastern European accent announced with great delight, 'Ah you are from Yorkshire. Geoffrey Boycott!'

4 Comments:

At 7:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a *specific* comment to make about this post, just wanted to post a comment because I am worried that you might get a stress related illness because no one else comments on here anymore, let alone posts...

B*stards...

 
At 9:25 am, Blogger cov said...

Indeed. I am thinking of taking sole ownership of the site given the uselessness of my fellow Collective members.

 
At 1:42 pm, Blogger Shamik Das said...

Poor old Tres! It's a real shame, such a class batsman, so many great innings.

Two such which spring to mind are the double-century against the Boks at the Oval and his comeback century against Sri Lanka at Lord's last summer, both of which I had the privilege to watch.

I just hope he gets himself sorted in time for the World Cup, though that's looking highly doubtful at present.

 
At 1:51 pm, Blogger cov said...

Sham,

I think we may have seen the last of him unfortunately.

It's only now that you beging to realise what a good player he was - over 10,000 runs in test and 1-day cricket is not to be sniffed at.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home