12 November 2006

Jones vs Read

I think that England have got it right picking Jones ahead of Read, certainly I think it's a good thing if it means that it strengthens the batting line up and allows Panesar to play ahead of Giles. However I am gobsmacked by the tone of Duncan Fletcher's comments about the situation:


"Looking at the pressure that he's played under before, we believe he handles the pressure better."

"Technically we think he's a better batter on these wickets and especially
in Test match cricket.

"It's a very, very difficult decision, but we believe Jones will do a
better job."


I don't know whether he's been misquoted or the comments are taken out of context, but talk about displaying a lack of faith in Read. I simply can't understand why he just couldn't have made some anodyne comments, rather than making what amounts to a vote of no confidence in Read.

As for the debate over whether to go for Anderson ahead of Mahmood, I am a bit ambivalent. Both have bowled inconsistently this Autumn, but for his extra pace and bounce I would have gone for Mahmood. You have to ask yourself, which bowler would the Australians less like to face?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home